Project access difficulty – is a charge that we apply to compensate additional times that we need to spend when accessing your project to bring materials, take out trash and move in/move out tools and consumables due to the complicated access to the premises.
What is project access difficulty charge?
To put it simple, let’s take a look at the next example:
We have two customers, Maria and Sam. Both have a 400 sq ft property where they want us to install the same flooring. Maria has a private house with an attached garage, which leads to the room where the flooring needs to be installed. Sam is living on the 45th floor of the highrise. There is no parking inside the building, only street parking for contractors. In order to get to Sam’s unit, we need to:
- load materials, tools, and trash on the dolly,
- move dolly to the building entrance stairs,
- take each box and each tool and walk the stairs up with it,
- load it back on the dolly
- move everything through the lobby (without scratching walls or damaging anything)
- wait for 20 min for the elevator
- ride in the elevator
- drive dolly 150 ft through the hallway to the unit
- unload the dolly at the customer’s unit and repeat the process as needed
To install 400 sq ft of vinyl plank flooring at Maria’s place our installer will spend 8 hours. To install 400 sq ft at Sam’s place, the same installer using the same material will spend at least 12 hours due to the time he needs to spend accessing Sam’s property.
The only difference is the access to the property. Everything else exactly the same:
- the square footage
- the installer
- the material
To compensate for the time difference for Sam’s job (because his job requires more hours, compared to Maria’s job) we add a Project Access Difficulty charge at Sam’s flooring quote.
When do we use this charge
We use it when it order to bring material, consumables, trash and tools we need to:
- use an elevator
- use stairs
- walk through lobby
- move through building hallways
- use street parking
- park on parking that is not attached to the house garage
This list is not limited to only the points listed above. The Project Access Difficulty charge is decided by the estimator based on this experience when doing a free flooring estimate.
How to decrease or avoid project access difficulty charge?
You can decrease up to 70% this charge by taking care of trash dumping and bringing all materials inside of your property. The other 30% will remain because we don’t allow anybody to carry our tools.
Check our completed jobs on our Instagram account